The Royal Palace Amsterdam is one of three Palaces used by the Dutch Monarch, notably for State Visits, Award Ceremonies, New Years Receptions and other official functions. The building plays a role in royal weddings and in the abdication and investiture of the Monarch. When the Palace is not in use by the Royal House, the Amsterdam Royal Palace Foundation opens the building to the public (since 1979).
Prince William VI (son of Prince William V of Orange), returned to the Netherlands in 1813, after Napoleon fell from power, and restored the palace to its original owners. After his investiture as King William I of the Netherlands, however, Amsterdam was made the official capital of the United Kingdom of the Netherlands . The new King realised the importance of having a palace in the capital, and the Town Hall again became a royal palace
The palace was built as a city hall during the 17th century. The building became the royal palace of King Louis Napoleon and later of the Dutch Royal House. It is situated on the west side of Dam Square in the centre of Amsterdam, opposite the War Memorial and next to the Nieuwe Kerk. Madam tussauds’ museum of Netherlands, is just next right to the palace.
It was built by Jacob van Campen, who took control of the construction project in 1648.It was built on 13,659 wooden piles and cost 8.5 million gulden. A yellowish sandstone from Bentheim in Germany was used for the entire building. The stone has darkened considerably in the course of time. Marble was the chosen material for the interior.
On top of the palace is a large domed cupola, topped by a weather vane in the form of a cog ship. This ship is a symbol of Amsterdam. Just underneath the dome there are a few windows. From here one could see the ships arrive and leave the harbour. In the cupola is the famous carillon by François and Pieter Hemony . It was renovated by Eijsbouts in 1965. Only 9 bells by François and Pieter Hemony remained. . The old corroded Hemony bells are kept inside the palace.The interiors, focusing on the power and prestige of Amsterdam, were completed later.
The palace was renovated from 2005 until June 2009, during which, among other things, asbestos was removed. Since 14 June 2009, the Palace is open again to visitors. The ticket is 10 euro and the palace remains open till 17 pm.
© http://www.thegreyeye.wordpress.com, 2015-21. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. All rights reserved.